Monday, February 20, 2012

Can I be Crazy & Sexy?


A few days ago I ran to the grocery store to just grab a couple things really quick after I picked Alexander up from school. My plan was to get in and out before the  madness of the 3-6 PM rush. I was done and Alexander manged to pull me into the book/magazine isle. As I attempted to shuffle him along a book caught my eye or maybe the title of the book did. I flipped through a couple of the pages attempting to see if I could find anything crazy or sexy. Then headed on my sweet little way. 

That night for some reason I couldn't get this book out of my head. I actually couldn't sleep I kept thinking about the couple of pages I glanced at. That morning I ran out and bought the book. It has been a very very long time since a book called me. I sat down and read it all in one afternoon and by the end of the 1st chapter I knew why. 

I feel silly because I didn't know who Kris Carr was!! I slightly remember seeing her a long time ago on CNN. She is the author of Crazy, Sexy, Cancer & also had a documentary on TLC titled the same. As I was reading it all I could think was, "Why didn't anyone tell me about her before!" I can honestly say I feel like I stumbled upon this book at the perfect time in my life. 


This book took a whole new take on a plant based diet. Not only did Kris Carr take an approach that was easy to understand. If anything she talks about it in a very real and honest way. It was refreshing because being a vegetarian/vegan is not hard! If anything it is painfully simple people just want to think it is hard. There is no counting carbs, points, calories, or anything else. It's simple you just don't eat anything that had a mother or face. Being a vegan you just add in stuff that comes from an animal. I think the biggest issue with most people is that they approach it as a diet. Going veg/vegan is not a diet it is a lifestyle. I personally think that this is a huge positive! Who wants to be on a diet the rest of their lives? Kris Carr does't talk about it as a diet even if the book has diet in the title she jokes about that too! 

The book is funny & candid mixed with information that can not only change but save your life. When I first picked it up I thought it might be similar to the Skinny Bitch book. I liked Skinny Bitch don't get me wrong, but I had several issues with it. It can be very overwhelming reading it and not in a good way for many people. I laughed at many parts and their overall attitude toward life in general. Skinny Bitch at times has the feeling of the mean girls in high school attempting to bully you into going vegan. They also promote a lot of processed/mock meat substitutes. You don't read Skinny Bitch and feel really inspired after. With Crazy, Sexy, Diet you feel inspired to want to make a change in your life not just diet. She also promotes eating clean & living up to your full potential. Kris is also really good at talking about how a plant based diet might be the best, BUT also talks how even incorporating aspects of it could change your life. Someone who never plans on going veg could read her book and take a lot from it. As someone who has been a vegetarian most of her life and recent vegan I felt like I had found a pot of gold <3 




2 comments:

  1. This book is next on my "to buy" list! Thank you for posting your review of it, because it sealed the deal for me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawne if you want to wait till I am done with the cleanse I will happily lend you my copy :)

      Delete